Monday, April 27, 2015

Angels Comtoise - Part 3 (Finished Clock)

The clock has been finished for a while, and I procrastinated when it came time to take photos of it. I still have to buy ropes, hooks, a winding crank, and find a pendulum and weights. I decided not to do anything with the dial, and not to clean the hands or washers, and I'm very happy with that decision.

The dial appears to have been painted gold over the brass. I can't tell if it was done this way originally, or if it was painted later, but as discussed previously, the dial has never been disassembled, and the paint goes right to the edges, with no traces of paint under/around the enamel or past the edges on the back.

I was not able to find any other information about the maker "Gaspard Decloitre" and I have found NO other clocks by this maker/retailer or any mentions of any other Decloitre clocks.

Because of the style, and the use of an anchor escapement, this clock likely dates to the 1860s, 1870s, or possibly even later. If it still had the original pendulum, it may be a bit easier to date.











I may retake this photo. My camera has been giving me trouble lately.













Note new leather bell washers.





It's amazing how much difference a thorough cleaning and fresh paint can do for a clock that almost looked "beyond help" originally. A friend has suggested that the bell was likely dropped. It doesn't sound very good (like clanging a frying pan), so I may try to find a replacement. Unfortunately the bell is quite large at 6" and most are a bit smaller.




















No comments:

Post a Comment